Established in 2021 by Audrey Mehler and David Paperny, this award recognizes distinguished Indigenous community-based contributions made by Indigenous Peoples.
The approximate value is expected to be $5,000.
To be eligible to apply, applicants:
- – must self-identify as an Indigenous person in Canada (i.e., First Nations, Inuit and Métis);
- – must be enrolled in the second, third or fourth year of studies in the Faculty of Arts & Science at Innis College and be registered in the 2021-22 Fall/Winter Session (can be either a returning or a graduating student);
- – must demonstrate strong academic performance and distinguished Indigenous community-based contributions.
How to Apply
The application is available online, and must be completed by logging into your UTmail+ account. For the 2021-22 application cycle, the deadline to apply is 18 April 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
Three components are required to be considered for this award:
1) A reporting of your contributions to an Indigenous community or Indigenous communities in Canada;
2) A statement or brief video on what you believe stands out in your profile or application. This statement will help guide the adjudication committee through an application that could be artistic or community-based or some combination of both;
3) A resume or CV.
A committee comprised of the Principal and two of three other possible members as decided by the Principal; namely: 1) an Indigenous student of the College; 2) an invested member of Innis College; and 3) a member of the Indigenous community on the UofT Campus.
Students can expect to hear results by August. For returning students, the award will be paid out in September after registration for the 2022-2023 Fall/Winter Session is confirmed. For graduating students, the award will be paid immediately. Awards are paid directly to outstanding fees first. If there is a credit remaining on your ACORN account, these funds will be directed to you. Please ensure that you have added direct deposit in ACORN. If you do not have direct deposit set up, update your mailing address on ACORN, as award cheques will be mailed to that address. Please note that cheques can be mailed to Canadian addresses only.
Questions can be directed to the Innis College Registrar’s Office by phone at 416-978-2513 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.