Established in 2018, the aim of this award is to reflect the work of Peter H. Russell and encourage students to seek out, as he does, the unique character of our country.
The approximate value is expected to be $1,400.
To be eligible to apply, applicants:
- – must be an Innis College undergraduate student registered in the 2022-23 Fall/Winter Session;
- – can be either a returning or a graduating student;
- – can be either a domestic or international student.
How to Apply
The application is available online, and must be completed by logging into your UTmail+ account. For the 2022-23 application cycle, the deadline to apply is 15 March 2023 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
Three components are required to be considered for this award:
1) A “production” on some aspect of Canada in the form of a substantial piece of coursework (e.g., essay) or a substantial creative work (e.g., poetry, prose, drama, film, painting, or photography). Candidates are expected to use their best judgment with regards to modes of submitting their creative works. The review committee will want to experience and assess said content within a reasonable amount of time;
2) A statement or brief video on what you believe stands out in your application. This statement will help guide the adjudication committee through an application that could be artistic or academic-based or some combination of both;
3) A resume or CV.
The award body is the Innis College Council. A committee that will include the Principal of Innis College, a student representative of Innis College Council, and potentially one or two others representing the College or the Russell family (as decided by the Principal and the student representative) will adjudicate submissions and make a recommendation to the Recruitment, Admissions & Awards Committee who will in turn make a recommendation to the Innis College Council.
Students can expect to hear results by August. For returning students, the award will be paid out in September after registration for the 2023-2024 Fall/Winter Session is confirmed. For graduating students, the award will be paid immediately. Awards are paid directly to outstanding fees first. If there is a credit remaining on your ACORN account, these funds will be directed to you. Please ensure that you have added direct deposit in ACORN. If you do not have direct deposit set up, update your mailing address on ACORN, as award cheques will be mailed to that address.
Questions can be directed to the Innis College Registrar’s Office by phone at 416-978-2513 or by email at email@example.com.